From: Chris Percy, MoveOn.org Civic Action <moveon-help>
Date: Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 15:28
Subject: Congress has come home. Let’s deliver our message in person.
To: Olga Lazin <olgalazin>
August congressional recess is here—and an opportunity to speak directly with our members of Congress.
Dear MoveOn member,
Just over a week ago, we scored a huge victory, stopping—at least for now—the latest incarnation of Trumpcare from taking health care from millions of Americans. It was a testament to the strength of the Resistance, including people from all walks of life who’ve made their voices heard to their members of Congress.
Now, representatives and senators are back home for the August congressional recess, and it’s an opportunity for us to bring grassroots pressure to them directly—to their town halls, offices, and at public events. It’s our chance to assert that health care is a fundamental right, hold accountable anyone who voted to take it away, and—on a number of other critical issues—remind every member of Congress that THEY WORK FOR US.
Throughout August, MoveOn members and allies are hosting and joining Resistance Recess events.
Together, we will make sure that members of Congress and the media hear that Americans won’t tolerate the Trump Republican agenda, including more attacks on our health care, a tax plan to give away billions to the 1%, the Muslim ban, brutal deportations, Trump’s transphobia, and the trampling of our rule of law.
We are planning and supporting actions across the country, directed at representatives and senators, both Republican and Democrat. And you can help make sure that every member of Congress hears our voices.
Here’s how it will work:
- We will show up at our elected officials’ events, town halls, and other public appearances to demand answers to the questions that we, their constituents, deserve to have answered.
- We will hold Republicans accountable for their support of the attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and let them know that we won’t let their attacks on health care, our communities, and our democracy go unanswered.
- We will make it clear to Democrats that progressives demand a forceful, progressive, inclusive, and populist agenda. We need Democrats to take strong stands and build momentum for the policies we want, such as single-payer Medicare for All.
- And if lawmakers won’t hold public events for their constituents, we will hold our own. For the members of Congress who lack the courage to face their constituents, we will hold People’s Speak-outs to highlight to the public and the media the lawmakers who won’t even meet with their constituents.
This summer, MoveOn and partner organizations have been actively resisting the Trump administration by training and empowering over 1,000 MoveOn Mobilizers from all fifty states to show the considerable organizing power of the Resistance, build new movement leadership, and win tangible victories.
We know that our efforts are working. Republicans have been stopped yet again from taking away health care from tens of millions of Americans. Some officials in both parties are recognizing the dangerous and potentially unconstitutional actions of Trump and his team. But we need to keep the pressure on to stop the relentless assaults on our communities and our rights—and to make sure that all members of Congress know that the resistance is strong and we will keep showing up day after day, week after week, and month after month.
Thanks for all you do.
—Chris, Gabriela, Justin, Katie, and the rest of the team
P.S. What if there’s no event hosted by your lawmakers listed on the site? First, call your representative’s and/or senators’ district and D.C. offices—and see if they are planning on holding a public town hall or office hours. Then…
If YES, they say that they are holding a town hall or office hours, submit the event here, and we will invite other constituents to join you.
If you discover that your members of Congress are NOT hosting a town hall within a reasonable distance from you, you can host a People’s Speak-out—an event that constituents hold to have their voices heard and highlight their lawmaker’s lack of a formal town hall. A People’s Speak-out is a great way to get media attention and elevate the fact that your lawmaker is avoiding constituents during the congressional recess!
How do you plan one?
- Find a location—such as a library, event space, or even outside a member of Congress’s district office—and pick a time and date.
- Invite your member of Congress.
- Click here to post your event on ResistanceRecess.com, and MoveOn and partner groups will invite fellow constituents.
- Put together an agenda and let the media know.
- Check out our materials page for all the guides and information you need to plan an event.
- Have an awesome event!
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump’s agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation’s pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Olga Lazin on August 7th, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.